Monday 7 February 2011

Not Me


I have decided to show you what I can see when I stand on my living room window sill.

My house looks over to Stromness which was a small fishing village but over the year's it has grown. It used to be the sailing ship's last stop to take on water before heading to Canada and many of the men living here belonged to the Hudson's bay company and there are lots of Canadian/Orcadian people still there today.

The boat you see in the foreground is the MVGraemsay and it brings me to my little island from Stromness. It also goes to Hoy but everybody on my little island has to use this boat as it is the only one we have, while Hoy has boats at the South of the island. I was on this boat when I was a tiny baby puss and I liked it.

The big boat in Stromness Harbour is the Hamnavoe and 'Hamnavoe' means 'safe haven' and this is the boat my humans get on if they are going South to Scotland or further away. I haven't been on this one yet and I don't think I will be on it 'cos I just like staying on my little island.

I hoped you liked this little lesson!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you, dear Squeak - I learn't such a lot. My self and Zebby like to stay home too. This is our wee safe place where we can snuggle up together over night and tell each other stories.

    I must admit that Zeb's stories are mostly lots and lots of purring so as to make me sleep. Who knows what he gets up to while I snoozle away! Maybe he just enjoys taking over his big half of the queen sized bed?

    I hope you and your humans are staying safe and warm,

    Michelle, xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Michelle. Maybe I can tell you lots of other things about Orkney and you can tel lme all about where you live. That would be good.

    I wish we had some of your sunshine as I like the heat and sometimes it gets cold here but we can all snuggle up together when it is cold, and I like that too.

    ReplyDelete