Monday 26 April 2010

Cat-astrophe



Not exactly a FULL cat-astrophe, but a little one, so does that make it a kitten-astrophe? Maybe I will invent a new Squeak language. I shall give that some thought. Anyway, I digress. I seem to do that a lot, so please bear with me.


I am housebound today 'cos it is very windy (again!) and wet and I decided I would stay home and do my indoor athletic training, so there I was minding my own little business, when I noticed there was no-one in the room adoring me as is the custom, so I decided to have a look and see why, and this was nearly my undoing. The life of Squeak snuffed out before it had become a roar!


Picture this scene of domestic bliss. My DH in his greenhouse talking to his plants---it's the only time he gets to talk, really!--and my MH changing the duvet cover. Now I had seen this done before, but obviously it hadn't really registered with me what was going on, because to-day I didn't know enough to stay well out of the way. Okay, I know there will be those out there who know exactly what I am going to say, and I can picture all the wise felines all over the world, raising whiskers and laughing behind paws, but please remember, I am only little. Adorable, but little and I have a lot to learn.


SO! There we are. Me and my MH in the bedroom. The old duvet cover whipped off and the new one half on, and the phone rings! MH leaves what she is doing, leaving a tangled mess of duvet and half-on cover and goes to answer the phone. It is her friend, so she is on it for a long, long time.


Meanwhile, I am sitting there grooming my dear little self waiting for her to finish so that we can get on with the task in hand, but like most kittens, I get bored quite easily and so I decided to explore. I had never been inside a duvet before and thought I would see what it was like.


Nothing wrong so far I hear you say.


Well, I was a wee bit tired after all my exercises and this duvet and crumpled cover were lovely and warm, so I must have nodded off because I didn't hear her finishing the phone call and coming towards the bed. (Cue 'Psycho ' music!)


What she normally does at this stage is stuff the bottom corners of the duvet into the cover and then lift the whole thing and shake it as hard as she can until the duvet fits in the cover. Now do you see my dilemma? Well, it was only the sound of her muttering as she grabbed for these corners that wakened me and I sprang into life yowling and shooting out of the duvet cover, giving MH the fright of her life. She yelled and dropped the whole thing as I scooted out of the bedroom.

Talk about chaos! It took us both a good five minutes to calm down and then we sat on the bed together and chuckled. My how we did laugh, but I'll not be doing that again in a hurry.


Well, not today, anyway!




No comments:

Post a Comment